THE BEST OF RETHYMNON
Rethymno is a city of approximately 40,000 the capital of Rethymno prefecture, situated among the administrative center of Crete, Heraklion, and the glamorous Chania to the west. Many underestimate the beauty of the city of Rethymno.
For the city of Rethymnon a period of growth began, when the Venetian conquerors of the island decided to put an intermediate commercial station between Heraklion and Chania, acquiring its own bishop and nobility in the process. Today’s old town is almost entirely built by the Republic of Venice and is one of the best-preserved old towns in Crete.
The town still maintains its old aristocratic appearance, with its buildings dating from the 16th century, arched doorways, stone staircases, Byzantine and Hellenic-Roman remains, the small Venetian harbor and narrow pedestrian streets. The Venetian Loggia houses the information office of the Ministry of Culture.
A Wine Festival is held in Rethymno annually at the beginning of July. Another festival, in memory of the destruction of the Arkadi Monastery, is held on 7 – 8 November. Both attract visitors from all over Crete.
The city’s Venetian-era citadel, the Fortezza of Rethymno, is one of the best-preserved castles on the island Crete. Other monuments include the Neratze mosque – the Municipal Odeon arts centre -, the Great Gate – “Porta Guora” -, the Rimondi Fountain and the Loggia.
The town was occupied by the Ottoman Empire in 1646 and they stayed in power until the end of the 19th cent.
Today’s city center is a mixture of old and new, making a walking tour an interesting option for guests visiting Crete.
Don’t miss the opportunity to explore the highlights of the city of Rethymnon with professional licensed guides / archaeologists of Tourist Guides Crete Boutique Travel Agency.
The tour includes:
- The entrance fees of the sites per person.
- Bottle of water per person.
- Maps and plans of Rethymnon and Crete.
- Transportation with our company car / van.
- The services of a qualified professional guide / archaeologist of our team.
- Pick up and Drop off from the port of Chania / Souda (or your hotel in the area of Chania or Heraklion).
- Any fuel and parking costs, all taxes and VAT 24%, invoice will be provided by our travel agency.
- Liability insurance by Interamerican.
The tours do not include:
- No lunch (Lunch can be arranged upon request in a local tavern).
- No personal expenses.